In compliance with Chapter 295, Florida Statute, The University of Florida is committed to providing preference to U.S. veterans and spouses of veterans in hiring, promotion, and retention for all qualified positions (all former University Personnel Support Services positions), as prescribed by the chapter. Additional information concerning veteran’s preference is available at the Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs webpage.
The veterans’ preference seeking applicant must have received an honorable discharge or must present documentation stating current service is honorable, and meet one or more of the categories listed below. Additionally, if the applicant is not the veteran and is claiming veterans’ preference under one of the other criteria listed below, additional documentation may be required.
- A veteran with a service-connected disability who is eligible for or receiving compensation, disability retirement, or pension under public laws administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Defense.
- The spouse of a veteran who cannot qualify for employment because of a total and permanent service-connected disability, or the spouse of a veteran missing in action, captured, or forcibly detained by a foreign power.
- A wartime veteran who has served on active duty for one day or more during a wartime period, or who has served in a qualifying campaign or expedition. Active duty for training shall not qualify for eligibility under this paragraph.
- The unmarried widow or widower of a veteran who died of a service-connected disability.
- The mother, father, legal guardian, or unremarried widow or widower of a member of the United States Armed Forces who died in the line of duty under combat-related conditions, as verified by the United States Department of Defense.
- A veteran as defined in s.1.01(14). Active duty for training may not be allowed for eligibility under this paragraph.
- A current member of any reserve component of the United States Armed Forces or the Florida National Guard.
The service dates are defined as follows:
- World War II: December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946
- Persian Gulf War: August 2, 1990 to January 2, 1992
- Korean Conflict: June 27, 1950 to January 31, 1955
- Vietnam Era: February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975
- Operation Enduring Freedom – October 7, 2001 to date to be determined
- Operation Iraqi Freedom – March 19, 2003 to date to be determined
*The above is only a partial list, please see section 1.01(14) F. S., for a complete list of wars applicable for veterans’ preference.
Claiming Veterans’ Preference
To claim veterans’ preference, the applicant must:
- Indicate your claim for veterans’ preference on the application.
- Upload a DD214 (or equivalent certification from the DVA) when applying for positions that are covered under FS 295, as described above.
- You may be required to upload additional supporting documentation, as appropriate, based on the type of claim.
- Note: the DD214, or equivalent certification from the DVA, must list military status, dates of service and discharge type.
- Note: a DD214 must be uploaded to each application for qualified positions.
For information on obtaining a DD214, please visit eVetRecs or call (866) 272-6272.
For more information, please contact Recruitment & Staffing for the Office of Human Resource Services at 352-392-2477 or email email@example.com.
You can view Frequently Asked Questions about Veterans’ Preference here.