unit logo

2018-19 Pay Program: Frequently Asked Questions

  • Alternate Work Location
  • Employment Hub
  • HR Data Services & People Analytics
  • Employment Abroad
  • Talent Acquisition and Onboarding
  • Volunteer Coordination
  • Classification & Compensation
  • Employee Relations
  • Can a department elect to provide a one-time performance payment greater than 4 percent to a staff or faculty member?
    Yes. No individual percentage limit has been established for eligible faculty or staff members, so long as the total payments awarded in the unit do not exceed the total identified one-time performance payment pool for the unit; individual performance payments can vary based on the unit’s discretion.

    What is the University’s eligibility criteria for the one-time performance payment?
    Employees who have received notification of non-renewal, layoff, or ending of a time-limited appointment are not eligible for the one-time performance payments, nor are employees who have received discipline since January 1, 2018, in the form of a written reprimand or suspension.  Additionally, faculty who are currently on a “performance improvement plan” also are not eligible. These performance payments are discretionary and can be used to address merit and/or market considerations. Merit increases may take into account a range of issues including meaningful milestones, sustained superior performance, and completion of special assignments or projects. Criteria used are determined at the work unit level. Compensation plans for employees in a bargaining unit are subject to union negotiation.

    Can my unit establish additional eligibility criteria for awarding the one-time performance payment?
    Yes. Units can establish more specific eligibility criteria for awarding one-time performance payments in addition to the University’s eligibility criteria.

    Can departments use departmental funds to increase the one-time performance payment pools?
    No. Departments may not increase the established pools of 4 percent. Participation in the merit pool for College of Medicine-Gainesville faculty will be in accordance with the college’s faculty compensation plan.

    Can a one-time performance payment be charged to a research grant or contract?
    No. The Office of Research, along with the Office of the General Counsel, has determined that one-time performance payments to employees CANNOT be charged to a research contract or grant. Funds 211 and 212 may be used to provide the one-time performance payments, provided the individual is assigned to research. Any distributions from the 211 and 212 funds must be proportional to the individual’s assigned research. For example, if an individual’s FTE is assigned 50 percent to research, 50 percent of the one-time performance payment could be charged to the 211 or 212 funds. If funds are not available from the 211 or 212 fund, the unit will need to identify another appropriate funding source for these payments.

    Are the 2018-2019 performance payments retirement eligible?
    No, the December payment is not retirement eligible as this payment is a lump sum payment in recognition of employee’s accomplishments.

    How are these payments taxed?
    The December performance payment will be subject to Social Security (or FICA Alternative) and Medicare taxes, as well as Federal Withholding tax based on the employee’s Form W-4 status and allowances claimed.

    **Note, additional payments can move the employee’s taxation into a higher tax bracket for federal withholding, so employees should not be surprised to see their withholding tax deducted at a higher percentage than their “normal” paycheck.