unit logo

Additional University Employment and Compensation

  • Employment Hub
  • HR Data Services & People Analytics
  • Remote Work Location
  • Employment Abroad
  • Talent Acquisition and Onboarding
  • Volunteer Coordination
  • Classification & Compensation
  • Employee Relations
  • University Policy

    The responsibility of an employee is the full and competent performance of all duties pertinent to his/her employment with the university. Activities or additional employment which may interfere with the primary employment obligations and responsibilities, or may create a conflict of interest with those responsibilities and obligations are prohibited.

    University employees may receive compensation for additional employment within the university, other Florida public universities (excluding community colleges), or State of Florida employers, beyond full-time equivalent (FTE) established for the employee’s regular or primary employing position. Compensation for university or other Florida public university employment that exceeds 1.00 FTE must be paid from OPS.

    Additional instructional assignments for faculty must be through the university’s Division of Continuing Education, 392-2137.

    Included (Non-Exempt) and OPS Hourly Employees

    These groups are subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act which may require compensation at time and one-half for combined workweek hours in excess of 40. Additional employment and pay rates for these employees must be reviewed and approved by Human Resource Services prior to engagement.

    An HR-600 form (Request for Approval of Additional University Compensation) is required when an employee is:

    • Paid simultaneously from OPS and salaries (e.g., OPS and USPS)
    • Employed in excess of 1.00 FTE


    Primary Employment/Employer

    An employee’s regular employment department or unit in which the employee receives an assignment, evaluation and salary based on the certification of performance of regularly assigned duties.

    Secondary Employment/Employer

    The department or unit requesting the employee’s services in addition to those regularly assigned by the primary employer.

    Approval of Additional University Employment

    To pay employees for Additional University Employment, the secondary department must prepare and complete two forms.

    For USPS, TEAMS, and Non-Academic OPS

    Form HR-600, “Request for Approval of Additional University Compensation”
    Payment is initiated through an Additional Pay ePAF form. Directions can be found on the Hiring and Additional Pay toolkit.

    For Faculty (including Academic OPS)

    Form HR-600, “Request for Approval of Additional University Employment” (Please contact Academic Personnel at 392-2477.)

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Are employees eligible for overtime?
    Additional or dual employment with UF requires compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The employee’s FLSA status (exempt or non-exempt) for the secondary position will be that of the employee’s primary position. If the primary position is exempt, you are not required to pay overtime for the second position. If the primary position is non-exempt, you may be required to pay overtime for the second position.

    Are all non-exempt employees eligible for overtime?
    Not all additional university or dual employment arrangements cause an employee to be eligible for overtime pay. The FLSA indicates that employees who, at their option, work occasionally or sporadically on a part-time basis for the same agency in a capacity different from their regular employment do not have to be combined with the hours worked in the primary job for the purposes of determining overtime liability. However, unless the occasional or sporadic rules apply, all hours worked in a secondary job must be combined with hours worked in the primary job to determine overtime liability.

    How do you define the terms occasional or sporadic and different capacity?
    Under the FLSA, the “occasional or sporadic” means infrequent, irregular or occurring in scattered instances. A part-time employee who is given a regular work schedule (daily, weekly, monthly) does not meet the occasional or sporadic test. The term “in a capacity different from their regular employment” can be illustrated with an example. If a full-time clerk in a department performs part-time clerical duties in another department he or she must be paid overtime. If that same full-time clerk performs part-time laboratory duties in another department, there is no overtime liability.

    What happens if the part-time job is not occasional or sporadic of a different capacity? 
    If the situation does not meet the sporadic and occasional or different duties tests, the employee must be paid overtime for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a workweek.

    How do you calculate overtime pay in dual employment arrangements?
    If the salary rate for each job is the same, there is no problem. However, in these dual employment arrangements, it is not uncommon for an employee to be paid at different rates for each job. The Department of Labor says that you cannot use the rate of only the secondary job to calculate overtime. When an employee in a single work week works at two or more different jobs for which different rates have been established, a regular rate of pay has to be established upon which to calculate overtime pay. Please contact Classification & Compensation for assistance in calculating the overtime rate.

    How do I pay an employee for additional university or dual employment?
    The secondary department must prepare and complete a HR-600 form. Payment is initiated through the Additional Pay ePAF form.

    Can I pay an employee a lump sum payment for additional university or dual employment? 
    Exempt employees can be paid using a lump sum payment. Non-exempt employees should be paid an hourly rate and record their hours through PeopleSoft – Time and Labor.