Hurricane Irma: Time Reporting and Support for Faculty and Staff
As you know, due to Hurricane Irma, the university was closed Friday, September 8, through Tuesday, September 12. Administrative leave has been granted to eligible employees who were scheduled to work during this time.
We are grateful to those who have returned to campus as part of normal operations following the hurricane. While administrative leave is not available to accommodate school closings or general power outages, we ask that supervisors be flexible in these situations, as these circumstances can still be disruptive for our faculty and staff. Personally accrued vacation and sick leave may be used during this time upon request. If appropriate, with supervisory approval, working from home may also be an option.
Emergency fund established for faculty and staff
A new “Aid-a-Gator” emergency funding program has been established to provide limited assistance to UF faculty and staff who are experiencing a temporary financial hardship due to the hurricane and its aftermath. To learn more, including how you can make a donation to help or to apply for assistance, visit http://hr.ufl.edu/aidagator.
Reporting administrative leave
Please note: Anyone who was on pre-approved leave will remain on such leave and will not be eligible to receive the administrative leave.
- All USPS employees and hourly (non-exempt) TEAMS employees should report hours they were scheduled to work during the closing period via the Weekly Elapsed Screen using the “900-Administrative Leave-EMC” time reporting code. Employees should enter the number of hours they were actually scheduled to work.
- Exempt TEAMS and faculty employees will not need to record this time through the Weekly Elapsed Screen. (However, if exempt TEAMS or faculty employees have entered the “900-Administrative Leave-EMC” time reporting code, it does not need to be removed.)
- Hourly (non-exempt) OPS employees who worked during the closing should enter their time as they normally would. They are not eligible for administrative leave.
Special considerations for essential personnel
- All USPS employees and hourly (non-exempt) TEAMS employees who worked during the closing period will need to record both the time they worked during the closing and the administrative leave in order to accrue special compensatory leave appropriately in addition to their normal pay. If the compensatory leave is not used by the employee within six months following its accrual, the employee will be paid for the leave. For further guidance on Essential Personnel, please visit the Employee Relations section of the UFHR website.
- TEAMS exempt employees who were required to work during the emergency closing are also eligible for compensatory leave at the discretion of their supervisor — although this compensatory leave is handled at the department level and not reported via the myUFL Faculty and graduate assistants are not eligible for compensatory leave under this policy.
- Hourly (non-exempt) OPS employees who worked during the closing should enter their time as they normally would.
If you have questions or need further assistance, please contact University Benefits at (352) 392-2477 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.