Advanced Leadership for Academics and Professionals
- Participants are selected via a competitive applicant process
- The application period for the 2016-17 program year is now closed
- Applications will be considered by the UF Leadership Development Selection Committee, with selection being announced in late May 2016
Designed in cooperation with UF’s Office of the Provost, Faculty Senate, and Human Resource Services, this leadership program is for UF academic and professional leaders who wish to further explore and develop their leadership skills.
Offering two tracks—one for academic leaders and the other for professional staff—the program is based on leadership competencies specifically identified as being important for success at UF. (Our Competency Model was developed based on interviews and focus groups with successful UF leaders.) Program participants attend certain activities within their tracks; at other times, the tracks come together to explore leadership development issues. Participants are selected via a competitive application process.
The program meets six times over the course of the program year—typically 1.5 days each time—along with two shorter evening sessions; see schedule below. This year, the program is being held at the historic University House in Gainesville. Participants are expected to attend each session as scheduled.
|Session||Date & Time|
|Opening Session||Thursday, September 1, 2016, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Friday, September 2, 2016, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
|Session 2||Thursday, October 6, 2016, 3 to 9 p.m.
Friday, October 7, 2016, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
|Session 3||Thursday, November 3, 2016, 3 to 9 p.m.
Friday, November 4, 2016, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
|Elevator Speech Review||Evening Hours on Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 5 to 9 p.m.|
|Session 4||Thursday, January 19, 2017, 3 to 9 p.m.
Friday, January 20, 2017, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
|Session 5||Thursday, March 30, 2017, 3 to 9 p.m.
Friday, March 31, 2017, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
|Session 6||Thursday, May 4, 2017, 12 noon to 5 p.m.
Friday, May 5, 2017, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
|Closing Reception||Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 5 to 7 p.m.|
To be considered for the Academic Track, the applicant must be a UF faculty member in a leadership role. To be considered for the Professional Track, the applicant must be in a TEAMS position at the assistant director level or above.
Useful for academics and professionals who are interested in:
- Developing skills and tools to more effectively manage and lead people, including individual 360-degree assessments pre- and post-completion of the program.
- Furthering the programs of their division, department, and college through a better understanding of both strategic and operational issues within the university.
- Helping move a strategic agenda forward while helping others meet their goals.
- “Leadership: Great Leaders, Great Teams, Great Results,” Franklin-Covey, includes individual 360-degree assessments pre- and post-completion of the program. This provides a framework for understanding excellence in leadership generally, with feedback about “current state” of one’s own performance.
- Leadership competencies used as structure, based on what’s most important for leadership success at UF.
- Invited program facilitators/guest speakers are correlated with key competencies and are drawn from the University of Florida as well as from other appropriate institutions.
- As appropriate, key leadership challenges presented as case studies—some focusing on academic issues; others, on professional.
- Selected readings take into account academic or professional perspectives.
- A team project that focuses on areas of concern for the institution to further challenge the participants to move from strong individual contributors to ones who can collaborate and solve problems as team members on behalf of the institution.
- Job shadowing of appropriate UF leaders.
This year, the fee to participate is $1,500. All materials (including a 360-degree evaluation pre- and post-program), facilitation fees, and meals are included with no travel needed for those who live and work in Gainesville.
- Frank Bova
- Past Chair, UF Faculty Senate
- Jodi Gentry
- Vice President for Human Resource Services
- Charlie Lane
- Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
- Jamie Lewis Keith
- Vice President and General Counsel
- Angel Kwolek-Folland
- Associate Provost
- Diane McFarlin
- Dean, College of Journalism and Communications
- Elaine Turner
- Dean, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
- Brendemuhl, Joel; Professor and Associate Dean; College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
- Hawley, Elizabeth Haven; Chair; Special and Area Studies Collections Department; George A. Smathers Libraries
- Obreza, Thomas; Senior Associate Dean for Extension; IFAS
- Rogal, Maria; Interim Director and Professor; School of Art + Art History
- Stacciarini, Jeanne-Marie; Associate Professor; Family, Community and Health System Science
- Stinneford, John; Professor of Law; College of Law
- Vincent, Kevin; Chief and Associate Professor; Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation
- Waldron, Nancy; Professor and Associate Dean; College of Education
- Arnold, Jason; Associate Director for E-Learning, Technology, & Creative Services; College of Education Dean’s Area/ E-Learning, Technology, & Creative Services
- Holcomb, Heather; Director; Alumni Affairs; College of Medicine
- King, Stewart; Director; University Benefits; Human Resources Services
- Kolb, George; Director; University Budgets; University Budget Office
- Kuhl, Brian; Assistant Controller; Payroll and Tax Services
- MacMahon, Darcie; Assistant Director; Exhibits & Public Programs; Florida Museum of Natural History
- Phillips, Tracey; Director; Administrative Services; College of Health & Human Performance
- Singh-Kreitz, Ayola; Associate Director; Information Technology
- Wesley Bolch; Associate Dean for Academic Affairs; College of Engineering
- Reginald Frye; Professor and Chair; Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research; College of Pharmacy
- Christopher Janelle; Associate Dean; College of Health and Human Performance
- Gregory Janelle; Associate Chair for Clinical Affairs; Anesthesiology; College of Medicine
- Janice Krieger; Associate Professor and Director, STEM Translational Communication Research Program; Advertising; College of Journalism and Communications
- Holly Lane; Associate Professor and Associate Director; School of Special Education, School Psychology, and Early Childhood Studies; College of Education
- Lyrissa Lidsky, Associate Dean for International Programs, College of Law
- Gillian Lord; Associate Professor and Chair; Spanish and Portuguese Studies; College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- David Reed; Curator and Chair; Department of Natural History; Museum of Natural History
- Marta Wayne; Professor and Chair; Biology; College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Nigel Chong-You; Associate Director; Business Relations; Enterprise Systems; UFIT
- Gregg Clarke; Director of Operations; Physical Plant Division; Business Affairs
- Kevin Clarke; Assistant Director; Human Resources
- Jeremy Cynkar; Associate Director/Director of Operations; Stephen C. O’Connell Center; Business Affairs
- Linda Dixon; Director of Planning; Planning, Design & Construction Division; Business Affairs
- Amy Haberman; Associate Director/Director of Laboratory Safety; College of Engineering
- Ruth Harris; Associate Controller; Finance and Accounting; Office of the CFO
- Melissa Long; Assistant Director/Senior Director of Human Resources; Development and Alumni Affairs
- Michael Richards; Associate Director; Dean’s Office – Financial Services; College of Medicine
- Nicole Yucht; Interim Assistant Vice President; Marketing and Creative Services; University Relations
- Lise Abrams; Professor and Distinguished Teaching Scholar; Department of Psychology; College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Calogero Dolce; Professor and Chair; Department of Orthodontics; College of Dentistry
- David Hahn; Professor and Chair; Department of Mechanical and Aero Engineering; College of Engineering
- David Janicke; Associate Professor and Interim Chair; Department of Clinical and Health Psychology; College of Public Health and Health Professions
- Juan-Carlos Molleda; Professor and Department Chair; Department of Public Relations; College of Journalism and Communications
- Bonnie Moradi; Professor and Director; Center for Women’s Studies and Gender Research; College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Carlos Risco; Chair and Professor; Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences; College of Veterinary Medicine
- James Scolapio; Professor and Chief (Associate Chair); Division of Gastroenterology/Department of Medicine-JAX; College of Medicine-JAX
- Scott Tomar; Professor; Department of Community Dentistry and Behavioral Science; College of Dentistry
- Aigi Adesogan; Business Services Director; Enrollment Management
- Brad Bennett; Senior Associate Controller; Finance and Accounting
- Scott Fox; Director, Transportation and Parking Services; Business Affairs
- Susan Goffman; Director of Legal Services; UF Foundation/Office of Development and Alumni Affairs
- Margaret Hendryx; Executive Director of Development and External Affairs; College of Engineering
- Michael Joshi-Guske; Director, Medical/Health Administration; Department of Pathology, Immunology, and Lab Medicine; College of Medicine
- David Looney; Associate Director, Business Services; Business Affairs
- Matthew Williams; Director; Office of Sustainability and Energy Integration; Business Affairs
- Ester de Jong, Associate Professor, School of Teaching and Learning, College of Education
- Steven George, Associate Professor and Assistant Department Chair/Program Director, Department of Physical Therapy, College of Public Health and Health Professions
- Julia Graber, Professor and Associate Chair, Department of Psychology, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Laurence Morel, Professor/ Division Director, Department of Pathology Immunology and Laboratory Medicine, College of Medicine
- Victoria Pagán, Professor and Chair, Department of Classics
- Scott Perry, Professor/ Associate Chair for Academics, Materials Science and Engineering, College of Engineering
- Jamie Pomeranz, Associate Professor and Associate Chair, Department of Behavioral Science and Community Health, College of Public Health and Health Professions
- Christine Schmidt, Professor and Chair, Department of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering
- Jack Causseaux, Associate Director, Sorority & Fraternity Affairs, Department of Student Activities and Involvement, Division of Student Affairs
- Jim Freymann, Associate Director of Operations, Enterprise Systems, UFIT
- Cheryl Gater, Director, SACS Accreditation, Office of the Provost
- Ja’Net Glover, Associate Director for Employer Relations, Career Resource Center
- Douglas Johnson, Associate Director for Learning Services, Academic Technology
- Noelle Mecoli, Assistant Director, Office of Institutional Planning and Research
- Melanie Ross, Associate Vice President/ Chief Communications Officer, UF Health Communications
- Janine Sikes, Assistant Vice President, Media Relations & Public Affairs, University Relations
- Alan West, Senior Associate Controller, University Bursar, Treasury Management
- Lauren Wilcox, Senior Director of Development and Alumni Affairs, College of Law
- Daniel Brown, Associate Professor, Infectious Diseases and Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Richard Dickinson, Department Chair and Professor, Chemical Engineering, College of Engineering
- Martin Main; Interim Department Chair, Program Leader, and Professor; Wildlife Ecology and Conservation; IFAS
- M. David Miller, Professor, Director of QEP and International Task Force, School of Human Development, College of Education
- Rowan Milner, Department Chair and Associate Professor, Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Simon Phillpot, Department Chair and Professor, Materials Science and Engineering, College of Engineering
- Venita Sposetti, Associate Dean for Education and Associate Professor, College of Dentistry
- Michael Weigold, Associate Dean and Professor, College of Journalism and Communications
- Karen Whalen, Associate Chair and Clinical Associate Professor, Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research, College of Pharmacy
- Sandra Wilson, Professor, Department of Environmental Horticulture, IFAS
- Andrea Burne, Assistant Dean, Finance and HR, College of Public Health and Health Professions
- Lisa Jefferson, Associate Director 4, Medical/Health Admin, Community Dentistry, College of Dentistry
- Renee Musson, Associate Director, Stephen C. O’Connell Center
- Connie Nicklin, Assistant Director, Research/Service Programs, ICBR—Interdisciplinary Center
- Pamela Patton, Clinical Director, Kidney and Pancreas Transplant Programs, Department of Surgery, College of Medicine
- Aja Perez, Assistant University Registrar, University Registrar
- Kathleen Tillett, Senior Associate Controller, Finance and Accounting
- Xiaohui (Julie) Wang, Assistant Director, University Budget Office
- Randy Wright, Executive Director/Director 5, Division of Multimedia Properties, College of Journalism and Communications
- Michael Delp, Professor and Chair, Applied Physiology and Kinesiology
- Amara Estrada, Associate Professor and Associate Chair of Instruction, Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Paul Favini, Acting Director, School of Theatre and Dance, College of Fine Arts
- Joseph Hartman, Professor and Chair, Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Christopher McCarty, Associate Professor/Director, Bureau of Economic and Business Research (BEBR)/Health Services Research, Management and Policy (HSRMP)
- Kevin Orr, Associate Professor, School of Music, College of Fine Arts
- Ralph Rice, Associate Dean and Director, School of Physician Assistant Studies
- Ata Sarajedini, Professor and Associate Chair, Department of Astronomy, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Clay Walker, Professor and Associate Dean, College of Dentistry
- Andrew Blakeslee, Director, Enterprise Support Services, Enterprise Systems
- Yvonne Brinson, Assistant Dean, Research Administration and Compliance, College of Medicine
- Melissa Curry, Director, Recruitment and Staffing, Human Resource Services
- Lisa Deal, Purchasing Director, Purchasing Services
- Beatriz Fernandez, Director, Systems and Programming, Enterprise Systems
- Dan Hodges, Assistant University Registrar, Office of the University Registrar
- Mark Robinson, Director, Technology Services, College of Law
- Diane Beck; Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research; Division of Distance, Continuing, and Executive Education; College of Pharmacy
- Mark Bleiweis, Associate Professor, Surgery and Pediatrics, Congenital Heart Center, Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine
- Timothy Brophy, Assistant Dean for Research and Technology and Associate Professor, Music Education, School of Music, College of Fine Arts
- Rafael Guzman, Professor and Chair, Department of Astronomy
- David Pharies, Professor and Chair, Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Michael Sagas; Professor and Chair; Department of Tourism, Recreation, and Sport Management; College of Health and Human Performance
- Susan Schaffer; Clinical Associate Professor; Women’s, Children’s and Family Nursing; College of Nursing
- Rachel Schipper, Associate Dean, Technology and Support Services, UF Libraries
- Richard Yost, Professor and Head, Analytical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Dana Zimmel, Interim Associate Chief of Staff and Clinical Associate Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine, Large Animal Clinical Sciences
- Susan Blair, Chief Privacy Officer (Director, Medical/Health Admin), UF Privacy Office
- Tracey Choulat, Director, Information and Instructional Technology, College of Education
- Nancy Chrystal-Green, Director, Student Activities and Involvement, J. Wayne Reitz Union
- Julie Frey; Associate Director, Information/Publication Services; College of Design, Construction, and Planning
- Diana Hull, Associate University Registrar, Office of the University Registrar
- Joseph Kays, Director, Office of Research Communications, Office of Research
- Lynn O’Sickey, Assistant Director/Senior Associate In Advising, Academic Advising Center, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Lynda Reinhart, Director, Stephen C. O’Connell Center, Business Affairs
- Deb Staats, Assistant Dean for Administrative Affairs, College of Law
- Laura Wilson, Associate Director, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, College of Medicine
2008 class (Next Level Leadership)
- Manuel Arreola, Director and Assistant Professor, Radiology, College of Medicine
- Cheryl Bell, Acting Associate Controller, Treasury Management, Finance and Accounting
- Cynthia Bevis, Associate in Pathology, Department of Pathology, College of Medicine
- Hannah Covert, Executive Director, Center for Latin American Studies
- Michael V. Bowie, Director, Recruitment, Retention and Multicultural Affairs, Dean’s Area, College of Education
- Greg Dubois, Senior Associate Controller, Finance and Accounting
- Mark Jamison, Director, Public Utility Research Center, Department of Economics
- Michael Leslie, Associate Professor, Telecommunication, College of Journalism and Communications
- Robert Pelaia, Senior University Counsel, Office of the VP and General Counsel
- Edward Schaefer, Associate Dean and Professor, College of Fine Arts
- Jane Thomas, Associate Director, UF Enterprise Systems
2007 class (Next Level Leadership)
- Thomasenia Adams, Associate Professor and Director, College of Education
- Karen Bradley, Associate Director, Graduate School
- Luisa Amelia Dempere, Director of MAIC, Associate Engineer, Materials Science and Engineering
- Jan Eller, Assistant Dean, College of Medicine
- Denna Ferrante, Assistant Director, Physical Plant Division
- Dave Gruber, Assistant Director, UF Enterprise Systems
- Mike McKee, Assistant Vice President and University Controller, Finance and Accounting
- Steve Orlando, Director, University Relations
- Kathy Peck, Assistant Dean, College of Medicine
- Toni Ratliff, Associate Director, Student Health Care Center
- Sven Normann, Associate Dean, College of Pharmacy
- Diane Porter, Assistant Director, Housing
- Sandra Russo, Director, Office for Global Research Engagement, International Center
- Kim Schares, Associate Director, Human Resource Services
- Jean Sweitzer, Chief of Staff, College of Dentistry